Jaffis and QJaffis
Jaffis and QJaffis are graphical programs that serve as search and download tools for Fanfiction.Net, Fimfiction.Net,
and Archiveofourown.org, with a few other additions. The original program, Jaffis, as well as its replacement, QJaffis,
were and continue to be developed as personal tools that I am releasing in case somebody else finds them useful.
I make no claims as to the elegance or usefulness of QJaffis or Jaffis. If you wish to report bugs, you can do so,
but do not necssarily expect them to be fixed (or even expect a response). For more detailed information on the use
of these programs, looks in the 'Docs' folder in the archive.
QJaffis is a newer version of the Program derived from Jaffis. While Jaffis uses the widget library wxWidgets, QJaffis
uses the more popular Qt library. For the end user, QJaffis is faster, uses some better designed widgets, and includes
modifications to handle recent (December 2017) changes at Fimfiction.Net. However, it lacks the Fanfiction.Net Search
Update, and the Google front-end. Also, it is currently Windows only. Therefore, Jaffis is still available, although I
probably won't update it anymore.
Also, those looking at searching Fanfiction.Net might want to try out Flipper.
Jaffis uses wxWidgets and
libcurl, so i've included the wxWindows
license (licence3.txt), and the libcurl license (curl_license.txt) in the archive. Since you apparently cannot
just release a program without a license these days, I've decided that this program should be considered as licensed
under the 3-clause BSD License (licence.txt). Executables are provided for Windows (x86, Windows 2000 or newer),
Mac OS X (10.4 Tiger or newer, old-fashioned Universal Binary), and Linux (separate binaries for 32 bit x86, amd64/x64 (64 bit x86),
32 bit PowerPC, and 64 bit PowerPC).
Jaffis and QJaffis Updates:
- April 21, 2018 : For QJaffis, I've discovered and fixed bugs in my directory picker widget (which in the case of the sync tool led to my home directory being overwritten). Also added the Jaffis icon to the executable.
- April 18, 2018 : For QJaffis, the broken Fic downloaders for HarryPotterFanfiction.com and MediaMiner.Org have been fixed. In related news, there is now a download/parse test panel available from the Tools menu, although that is only really useful for the developer.
- March 14, 2018 : ArchiveOfOurOwn.org has switched to HTTPS only, which broke things. This update fixes that for QJaffis.
- February 19, 2018 : I've now made QJaffis, a new version of Jaffis which uses Qt, available. Currently Windows only, it accomodates the various changes FimFiction.Net made in December.
- December 22, 2017 : Fimfiction.Net has made some breaking changes, which will require quite a bit of time to fix. As a stopgap until I get time to do so, this update fixes downloading and updating fanfics only. Also, the included libcurl for the Windows version has been updated to 7.57.
- July 20, 2017 : Archiveofourown.org made some breaking changes (to internal HTML). This release is intended to restore and fix parsing.
- June 16, 2017 : Fixing parsing breaking caused by changes at Fimfiction.Net again.
- June 10, 2017 : Fimfiction.NET has made a number of breaking changes, so this update accomodates those. Since there is no longer an Updated Date listed with the stories. I now use the chapter update dates, which will cause some spurious 'Updated Stories' due to minor fixes that were done after the last real update.
- March 23, 2017: A quick fix for Fimfiction.Net switching to all-HTTPS.
- January 19, 2017 : Fimfiction.Net has added over 90 new character tags, and this update adds them to the FIM Search.
- August 23, 2016 : A minor change at AO3 has broken parsing for AO3 searches. This release fixes that.
- July 24, 2016 : A change at FIM that made Jaffis unable to get the characters for a fic has been solved.
- July 10, 2016 : I've found out that that MediaMiner.Org (a site I do not use) has changed it's format, resulting in me having to rewrite the fic downloader code. Also, the included libcurl (for Windows and OS X builds) has been updated to the latest version.
- January 10 2016 : There were some more proplems with AO3 Fic Parsing that I missed in my haste.
- January 9, 2016 : A quick fix for AO3 (there was a change that broke parsing for fanfics).
- November 8, 2015 : FIMFiction.Net has introduced new Categories/Genres.
- July 27, 2015 : There was a bug in my fix that I missed.
- July 26, 2015 : A quick fix to FIM (their recent change to hide thumbs scores for some fics broke parsing). Also, you might
notice I've added a data counter.
- July 21, 2015 : Changes at AO3 broke parsing, so this release fixes that. Also, I've added filters that apply to the compact description/summary for FIM stories.
- July 9, 2015 : Various FIM bugfixes. I have also added a directory update tool, and one can now exclude FIM Group search results from
being written to a result file (using the ignore right-menu item). The FIM search default filters now include the percentage-based
- May 24, 2015 : The Fimfiction.Net category information downloader now updates by default instead of downloading from scratch.
The fic downloader is now better at splitting fics that have large numbers of small parts.
- April 30, 2015 : Fixed a parsing bug for FIM characters, and added a new character.
- March 29, 2015 : Fixed some errors involving AO3 and FIM. Also, now using newer libcurl for the Windows and OS X builds. Finally,
this build does not include FreeBSD amd64, SPARC Linux, and Itanium2 Linux builds.
- March 4, 2015 : Changes at Fanfiction.Net broke parsing, so this update is a fix for that.
- February 25, 2015 : Fixing the break to FIM searches caused by recent changes.
- January 18, 2015 : A few bugfixes, and some additions have been made to the FIM search interface. Also, I've added a amd64/x64 FreeBSD binary.
- December 26, 2014 : FIM changes have broke parsing, so that is fixed now, as well as other changes to fix Harry Potter Fanfiction stories.
- December 14, 2014 : FIM changes again, plus new FIM characters. AO3 also made some changes that had to be fixed.
- November 5, 2014 : More FIM changes to fix. Also, the previous fix did not parse the FIM fic rating properly, this update fixes that.
- October 12, 2014 : FIM changes broke searching and downloading for that site, so this update fixes that. Also, a fic marking scheme has been
added where one can mark search results as read, ignore, etc, which changes the background colour in the result.
- September 14, 2014 : Fixed some parsing bugs for AO3 and FIM Fanfics. Added some built-in filters (search parameters) for AO3. A few tweaks.
- June 17, 2014 : Fixed a break in downloading AO3 Fandoms, and added another FIM Character. Also, I've added a SPARC binary.
- May 13, 2014 : Added new FIM Characters, added a workaround for an FFN bug (the chapter count is sometimes wrong), and if updating a downloaded fanfic.
causes the file to be replaced by two, the original file is now replaced.
- April 28, 2014 : Fixed some AO3 Kudo bugs, and a FFN genre parsing bug.
- March 27, 2014 : Finally implemented loading saved FIM Group Searches (I had forgotten). A few bounds fixes.
- March 18, 2014 : Fixed an AO3 Bug, and added a AO3 Kudos filter.
- March 4, 2014 : Bugfixes (Fimfiction.Net parsing and filter list selection).
- January 30, 2014: Various bugfixes. Also, the Fanfiction.Net search now removes duplicate crossover categories.
- January 19, 2014: Rewrote thread download classes (and the child classes), as well as the associated status indicators, to make them more
flexible and avoid kludges. Also fixed some bugs and added some new FIMfiction.net characters.
- December 7, 2013: Fixing a parsing break for Fimfiction.Net.
- December 3, 2013: The first update since Fanfiction.Net broke downloads by switching to using HTTPS for everthing. I had to rewrite the
downloading code and add a new 3rd party library, libcurl to do the downloads. Also various parsing fixes for Fanfiction.Net, and
filter fixes for the Fimfiction.Net group search. The Fanfiction.Net old results updater is still buggy though. I've removed the Linux
SPARC binary (until I can fix my Gentoo install).
- October 26, 2013: Yet another Fanfiction.Net fix. Also, the AO3 search now removes duplicate results.
- October 20, 2013: Parsing fix for multipart AO3 fics.
- October 14, 2013: Fanfiction.Net broke fic parsing again! (now fixed).
- October 13, 2013: Parsing fixes for Google and Fanfiction.Net. Also fixed a bug in the fic updater.
- September 23, 2013: A one-character fix for Fanfiction.net fic parsing.
- August 23, 2013 : Fixes some new Fanfiction.Net parsing breaks. The Fimfiction.net group search has improved, and a new Fimfiction.Net Thumbs Up percentage filter has been added.
- August 14, 2013 : Fixes a number of breaks caused by Fanfiction.Net changing formatting and url-building. Also, a new Favs filter for Fanfiction.Net, and a still buggy search for Fimfiction.net groups.
- July 13, 2013 : Fixed a bug in Fimfiction.Net searching.
- July 7, 2013 : Fixed single-part Fimfiction.net downloading, and added new tags (character and genre) for Fimfiction.net.
- May 20, 2013 : Only minor tweaks — the main difference is that I've updated the Docs, and added a Linux SPARC binary.
- April 14, 2013 : Various bugfixes, and a new fandom filter for AO3.
- April 3, 2013 : Same issue as last time!
- March 24, 2013 : This time, it is Fanfiction.Net that made breaking changes, although only for fic downloading.
- March 18, 2013 : Changes at Fimfiction.Net broke parsing and searching, so I had to fix all of that. At least they have proper date information now.
- March 13, 2013 : Various interface tweaks. Also added Twilicorn for Fimfiction.Net.
- February 20, 2013 : Fixed 2 bugs (Fimfiction.Net Pic part indexing, and tag filter issues), and made the fic updater a panel instead of a dialog.
- February 6, 2013 : Adding some new characters for Fimfiction.Net.
- January 21, 2013 : Fixed a bug in saving catgeory and name info for GTK versions.
- January 2, 2013 : Changed the year-guessing method for Fimfiction.Net fics.
- December 23, 2012 : More Fixes for breaks caused by changes to Fimfiction.Net formatting. Also, added a 'mature' checbox to the FIM Search.
- December 15, 2012 : Fixes for breaks caused by changes to Fimfiction.Net formatting. Also a few bugfixes.
- November 9, 2012 : Added some Fanfiction.net filters to Fanfiction.Net search. Some weaks to Fic updates, and bugfixes for fanfiction.net search updating.
- October 13, 2012 : Fixed and added some filters. Also, Linux builds now use 3 panels instead of 2 for search search (to provide more room on small screens).
- September 13, 2012 : Added a search interface for Archiveofourown.org. Also, a few bugfixes.
- September 1, 2012 : Fanfiction.Net parsing change. Fixed a tag filter bug.
- August 9, 2012 : Bugfixes and another Fanfiction.Net parsing change. The Google search should now be somewhat usable again.
- July 28, 2012 : Bugfixes and another Fanfiction.Net parsing change. Also, added an ia64 (Itanium2) binary for Linux.
- July 23, 2012 : Fanfiction.Net and Fimfiction.net fixes.
- July 19, 2012 : Fixed some major bugs in Fanfiction.Net Crossover category selection. Added to the Fimfiction.Net search and filters. Also, one can no longer launch an Fanfiction.Net search without downloading category data first (and thus crashing the program).
- July 12, 2012 : Fanfiction.Net fixes. Also, the fic downloader/updater for fimfiction.net can now handle mature rated stores. A Basic search interface for fimfiction.net has also been added.
- July 4, 2012 : Fanfiction.Net fixes.
- June 16, 2012 : Fanfiction.Net again. Also, some cosmetic changes for the Linux versions.
- June 10, 2012 : Visible Fanfiction.Net change broke parsing for everything. Several Days to fix.
- May 27, 2012 : Fixed parsing for Fanfiction.Net Stories.
- May 12, 2012 : Fixed some bugs, fixed parsing for Fanfiction.Net Stories.
Copyright © by JohnQMetro (email@example.com), 2012 to 2018. All Rights reserved unless otherwise stated.